Deb says, “I love this recipe because it’s super easy to make and everyone loves it. I like to top it with berries that have been lightly sautéed in butter, cointreau or lemon juice, and sugar. And then vegan whipped cream of course 🙂 And you can add on top a few flakes of Maldon salt; this really makes the chocolate flavor pop!"
Chocolate Molten Lava Cake
Makes 12 individual lava cakes
Preheat oven to 350. Grease up small, individual ramekins on bottom inside and sides with a neutral oil and set on sheet tray.
2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
¾ cup cacao powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ cup sugar
2 cups cold water
8 T olive oil
2 T lemon juice or vinegar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
to be added later:
1/2 cup chocolate chunks
Sifting dry ingredients:
1. Take a large bowl and place a sieve on it. Add your dry ingredients: whole wheat flour, salt, baking soda and cacao powder. Sift into bowl and set aside.
2. Prepare wet ingredients. Take sugar and cold water and stir with whisk until sugar is dissolved. Add oil and stir well. Add vanilla and lemon juice and stir again very well.
3. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients bowl and mix well with a wired whisk. Do not overmix!
4. Pour batter in greased ramekins and place chocolate squares in so they get immersed in the batter. Fill ramekins about 3/4 of the way full as they will rise when baked.
5. Place sheet tray in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes keeping oven door closed the entire time! Check on cakes and make sure they are cooked fully on the outside with a gooey center. Pull out of oven once completed and served immediately!