The original Green Goddess Sandwich recipe by Alanna Taylor-Tobin was featured in The Bonjour Gourmet. We made it vegan with the following modifications:
• In the dressing, we did not use anchovies
• We used Follow your heart Vegan mayo
• We used miyokos chive or favorite flavor cream cheese instead of mozarella.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total: 15 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6 sandwiches.
Pickled spring onions (makes enough for 4-6 sandwiches):
- 2 spring onions, bulb thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 2 slices pan bread (I like something with a neutral flavor such as Josie Baker's Wonderbread)
- 1/2 a small, ripe avocado, sliced
- 2 fat slices fresh mozzarella
- 1 medium-sized green zebra tomato (or other heirloom tomato), sliced
- a few thin slices cucumber
- several slices pickled onion
- a handful of sprouts (such as broccoli sprouts), rinsed and dried
- a couple of small lettuce leaves (butter or romaine), rinsed and dried
Making The Sandwiches
Pickle the onions:
In a medium-sized jar, combine the onions slices, vinegar, sugar, salt, and peppercorns. Put the lid on the jar and let sit for at least 10 minutes, shaking a few times to dissolve the salt and sugar. Use immediately or refrigerate until needed, up to 1 week.
Assemble the sandwiches:
Toast the bread and spread both slices with a thick layer of the mayonnaise. Top with the avocado, mozzarella, tomato, cucumber, pickled onion, sprouts, and lettuce. Sandwich with the other slice of bread and press down gently. Optionally wrap the sandwich in parchment or secure with two toothpicks, and slice in half with a sharp serrated bread knife or chef's knife.